Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Have the Ticket in My Purse

I got a ticket today. I was so proud of myself for leaving early enough to get to work 10 minutes early... I know, I know. Well, I thought I would take a short cut and make a left turn through this neighborhood to bypass a light and a busy street. I can make a left turn, but only after 9:00 am. I knew it was 8:45 am when I turned. I thought about making a u-turn then make a right turn onto the street, but I looked down the street and didn't see any cops (like usual), so I made the left turn as planned. Just as I turned, I saw a cop on foot motioning me to pull over! OMG he had pulled someone else over and saw me and waved his hand for me to pull over. Busted!

I showed him my license and it took about 7 minutes for me to find my proof of insurance and registration card in the glove compartment. My husband usually drives this particular car, but I took it this morning and was lost in a sea of repair bills, food coupons and older registration paperwork until I finally found what I needed. The cop was patient, actually walking over to his car parked on another street, that I didn't see, to write up my ticket. He even let me call my husband to ask where he put the paperwork. He was also very nice when he handed me my ticket, told me my options (plead innocent- right- plead guilty and pay -probably- go to traffic school - maybe) and when he told me to "have a nice day." Funny, as I was listening to him, more cars drove by and I wondered how many of THEM had made that left turn before it was time.

I was 10 minutes late to work. I will never make another left hand turn before 9:00 am again! Shame, as I only live about 15 minutes from work. The cop said it would not be a ding on my insurance. We'll see. I have the ticket in my purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment