Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Short Cut (ish) for Cooking?

I love to cook and bake. I made my older son's 19th birthday cake out of a Betty Crocker box mix. I can bake from scratch, but I really like taking short cuts. I guess I don't really consider it a short cut since I'm still taking the time to mix everything together and bake in the oven. A real shortcut would be to drive to Costco and get one of their cakes already made and decorated (I've done that too!).

Anyway, I've also used the cookie mixes from a bag, cake frosting, cake decorating tubes,and muffin mixes. I'm busy and the time savings are awesome! I really like the holiday cookies that come already cut out in shapes, so all you need to do is bake them. Every time I've made sugar cookies from scratch (real scratch), I can never roll them out good enough to cut them in shapes.

I want to know what are your favorite short cuts for cooking? I haven't made a biscuit from scratch in a year!

2 comments:

  1. I have 4 kids so anything I can get from a box, mix, decorate and pass off as my own is my friend. The one I use my often though would have to be the Sugar Cookie mix. It saves so much time using a mix...I mean I still roll out the dough, cut the shapes, and spend hours decorating so I think that's alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! In fact I just finished baking peanut butter cookies from one of those bags that all I had to add was 1 egg, 1 T. water, 3 T. oil. They smell delicious and I didn't have that much flour anyway! Yay for me!

    ReplyDelete